Monday 25 April 2016

Sciatica....its so painful!

From Patient

Matron. Since I have had the bladder op I have had sciatica in my lower back and right bum cheek and right leg. Sometimes my right leg gives way and I have back pain especially when driving. My doc gave me codeine but I don't want to take them unless I have to. Also is it normal to have pain in the left lower abdominal area cos I also have diverticulitis as well! I am thinking of asking for some physio.....What do you think please...

The main cause of sciatica or back pain following prolapse surgery is due to the position you were put in for the operation. Your legs are placed in lithotomy poles to enable the surgeon to see what he's doing. That and the hard surface of the operating table do us no favours unfortunately. It's very possible that's the cause. What confuses ladies is that they don't initially complain of the pain straight away so they don't associate it with the operation. Another cause for the sciatica could be due to the internal sutures or possibly one suture tightening the sciatic nerve. The lower abdominal pain is likely to be due to the healing of the pelvic floor muscles. If you take codeine take paracetamol with it as it helps the codeine to work. You can also take an anti inflammatory as well. That would help reduce the inflammation of the sciatic nerve and you can take paracetamol with that as well.

Do you mean something like Ibuprofen Matron? What do you think about the physio option?

Yes ibuprofen. There is an exercise you can do yourself at home that will help the sciatica. Lie on your side at the edge of your bed, the opposite side to the painful leg. Hang the painful leg over the side of the bed and leave it there for a few seconds. Continue doing that increasing the time all the time. Do it for a couple of minutes a couple of times a day. It puts traction on the painful nerve. Physio can't do any harm either.

http://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatica-its-so-painful--509415

No comments:

Post a Comment