For Sangeeta Patel, 54, Pilates was the panacea for paralysing sciatica. Now, she attends two classes per week, and claims it has helped her reduce severe joint pain for the past eleven years - with the past 18 months completely pain-free. Here's why she believes Pilates is more than just a trend.

Reformer Pilates is everywhere right now but, for me, it’s no passing fad – it’s been life-changing. I was 43 – and living in Mumbai during my husband’s two-year work placement – when I took a class for the first time. I was hooked, I’d never felt so strong. Back in London, I joined Korin Nolan’s Power Pilates studio in Beckenham. With the exception of the lockdowns, when I joined her classes virtually, I’ve been back twice a week ever since. Without it, I honestly believe I’d be immobile.

I first felt lower-back pain a decade earlier. In the years that followed, the pain would come and go, with Pilates helping to manage the worst flare ups (that my muscles were strengthening, my instructor explained, reduced the pressure on my joints).

But in 2023, life changed when my GP diagnosed me with acute sciatica, caused by the build-up of degenerative spinal discs. I have a high pain threshold, but I’d never experienced anything like it. That said, I felt relieved to have a diagnosis for the lower-back pain I’d been experiencing.

reformer pilates sciatica

For four months, I couldn’t exercise at all. My logical brain knew that this was what my body needed, but stepping away from the form of movement that had done so much for me left me miserable. When I was allowed to resume my weekly classes, it was with a renewed gratitude for all that it has done for me. Some 18 months on, I’m pain-free – and stronger than I’ve ever been, particularly in my core.

As well as powering me through the business of daily life, my core supports me with swimmingyoga and playing padel (yes, another trend that has me hooked). I’m so passionate about the power of Pilates that I’m now planning to complete my level three mat qualification. I want to help other women reap the rewards that I have.

What are the benefits of practising Pilates?

Korin Nolan, founder of Power Pilates UK, says: ‘Osteoarthritis– where the tissues in your joints breakdown – is commonly diagnosed after 45. Studies show that 61% of cases are women. Pilates can help ease its associated pain, as it’s low impact and improves joint mobility – by stimulating the production of synovial fluid, which lubricates your joints– and muscle strength simultaneously, so any pressure is shared between your muscles and joints.'

How often should women practise Pilates?

‘Beginners should try mat Pilates for 30 minutes, two to three times per week, focusing on form and the fundamental Pilates principles: alignment, breath and core connection,' Nolan advises. As you progress, incorporate one weekly reformer Pilates class. 'This is more challenging as it requires balance as well as strength.’

reformer pilates sciatica

Which other types of exercise should women do alongside Pilates?

Strength training is crucial for joint support, and studies have shown it’s particularly beneficial for those with osteoarthritis as it strengthens the surrounding muscles further, using heavier loads than typical in Pilates. Add one 40- to 60-minute session weekly.’

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/fitness/strength-training/a61983272/pilates-joint-pain/